From: Rohde & Schwarz
What: High Efficiency Solid State Transmitter Design
When: January 9, 2018 6:00 PM
Our January 9th, 6:00 PM meeting was held at the U.S. headquarters of Rohde & Schwarz, a renowned manufacturer of TV and FM broadcast transmitters and test equipment based in nearby Columbia, Maryland. This meeting was a cooperative effort of our host Rohde & Schwarz USA, Inc. in conjunction with SBE Chapters 37 (Washington, DC), and Chapter 46 (Baltimore, MD).
Walt Gumbert and several Rohde & Schwarz engineers discussed the technical merits of Dohetry amplifiers, liquid-cooled design, and methods employed to simplify ongoing transmitter maintenance. They also covered a myriad of other topics:
- Product Training Program
- Expert Discussion of FM Transmitter Products
- Overall Transmitter Manufacturing Plant and Product Electrical Efficiency Gains
- Review of the Firm's Background and Manufacturing Plants / Product Development
- Sample Check List of Digital Television Repack Transmitter Points to Consider
- Typical Site Drawing, Planning, and Upgrade Implementation
- Transmitter Requirements to Upgrade to the New ATSC 3.0 Standard
- Workshop Description of Doughtery Mode Amplification
- Test Gear Lab / Calibration and Repair Facility Tour
- Transmitter Setup
- Conducting a Proof
- ETL Instrument Use on a High Power Transmitter in Operation Live on the Factory Floor.
- Hands-on Workshop
A light dinner, kindly provided by our friends at Rohde & Schwarz, was served about 6:00 PM. We briefly discussed SBE business about 6:45 PM began our presentation shortly thereafter.