August 20, 2020
The Society of Broadcast Engineers, the association for broadcast and multimedia technology professionals, announces the results of the 2020 election for the national board of directors. Wayne Pecena, CPBE, 8-VSB, AMD, DRB, CBNE, was re-elected as the society’s president. Pecena is the associate director of educational broadcast services at Texas A&M University who operates public broadcast stations KAMU FM & TV. He is a member of SBE Chapter 99 in College Station, TX.
Regarding the election, President Pecena said, “I look to my second term as our industry and our personal lives have experienced change and challenge like never before. I want to ensure the Society brings a sense of normalcy to our members. This uniformity is accomplished through our professional development continuing education, certification and frequency coordination programs, while making the right decisions for change in the future to insure continued value to our members.”
Others serving one-year terms as officers, which begin on Sept. 23, are:
• Vice President: Andrea Cummis, CBT, CTO; Chapter 15 New York; Roseland, NJ
• Secretary: Kevin Trueblood, CBRE, CBNT; Chapter 90 Southwest FL; Ft. Myers, FL
• Treasurer: Ted Hand, CPBE, 8-VSB, AMD, DRB; Chapter 45 Charlotte; Charlotte, NC
Serving two-year terms on the board of directors, which also begin Sept. 23 are:
• Stephen Brown, CPBE, CBNT; Chapter 80 Fox Valley; Appleton, WI
• Roswell Clark, CPBE, CBNT; Chapter 39 Tampa Bay Area; Clearwater, FL
• Kirk Harnack, CBRE, CBNE; Chapter 103 Nashville; Nashville, TN
• Thomas McGinley, CPBE, AMD, CBNT; Chapter 16 Seattle; Missoula, MT
• Shane Toven, CBRE, CBNT; Chapter 43 Sacramento; Antelope, CA
• Fred Willard, CPBE, 8-VSB, CBNT; Chapter 37 District of Columbia; Washington, DC
The national board of directors of the SBE is responsible for the development of policy and determines the programs and services the society provides to its more than 5,000 members. Those elected will begin their terms on Sept. 23, 2020, during the SBE Membership Meeting and Awards Presentation. They will join the other six directors who have another year remaining in their terms:
• Mark Fehlig, PE, CPBE, 8-VSB; Chapter 40 San Francisco; Walnut Creek, CA
• Charles “Ched” Keiler, CPBE, 8-VSB, CBNE; Chapter 53 South Florida; Ft. Lauderdale;
• Geary Morrill, CPBE, CBNE; Chapter 91 Central Michigan; Saginaw, MI
• Jason Ornellas, CBRE, CRO; Chapter 43 Sacramento; Sacramento, CA
• Chris Tarr, CSRE, AMD, DRB, CBNE; Chapter 28 Milwaukee; Milwaukee, WI
• Dan Whealy, CBTE; Chapter 96 Rockford; Waterloo, IA
Jim Leifer, CPBE, of Andover, MA, continues as immediate past president.
The SBE National Meeting and Awards Presentation webcast will be held Sept. 23, 2020 at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT. The event is being held online in 2020 because of the ongoing pandemic.