Welcome to SBE Chapter 37
We're Glad You're Here!
SBE Chapter 37 is a group of broadcast engineers and multimedia technology professionals based in and near Washington, DC
Chapter 37 Events
We're Always Planning Something Cool. Check Out Our Events!
All the SBE National news that's fit to print.
About SBE Chapter 37
SBE Chapter 37 is a local, Washington, DC-based professional organization of friendly radio, television, and multimedia technology professionals. Our group includes local, national, and international network technicians, consulting engineers, electronics manufacturers, and Federal employees working in media and broadcasting positions. If that describes you, you’re welcome to attend one of our meetings or join our group!
Most of our members live, work, or have roots in Washington, DC or the nearby Maryland or Virginia Suburbs. We meet most months to exchange ideas, increase our skill levels, and (sometimes) just to socialize. Chapter 37 is part of the Society of Broadcast Engineers (SBE), the only organization devoted to the advancement of all levels and types of broadcast engineering. With nearly 5,000 members and 114 local chapters worldwide, the SBE provides a forum for the exchange of ideas and the sharing of information to help media professionals keep pace with our rapidly changing industry. The SBE amplifies the voices of broadcast engineers by validating skills with professional certification, offering educational opportunities to maintain and expand those skills, and speaking out on technical regulatory issues that affect how you work.
Regardless of your area of broadcast interest, you are sure to find a warm welcome at the Washington DC Chapter of the Society of Broadcast Engineers. Please join us at our next meeting and try us out for size. We hope you will enjoy your visit.
SBE Chapter 37 Current Events
with Glen Hurst, Eddy Vanderkerken, and Arthur “Bo” Hoover
What: Transmitter Efficiency
When: June 27, 2023 at 6:00 PM
Where: Rohde & Schwarz USA, Inc. - Register Here
Address: 6821 Benjamin Franklin Dr
Columbia, MD 21046 United States
This program highlights how to build and maintain a "green" broadcast transmission facility. With simultaneous rising energy and reducing operating budgets, three industry experts will present technology improvements and a holistic approach to design and operation. Efficiency calculation procedures, power supply and circuit design, and how to reduce costs including power consumption will be covered. Total cost of ownership, ROI timing, combiner / filter design and insertion loss, signal quality versus efficiency, plus building design and HVAC considerations will also be reviewed. Efficiency will be analyzed in real world dollar terms: time, risk, and cost benefits, including a look at "comparatively inexpensive" PM and training options.
with Kenny Miller of Suitelife Systems
From: Suitelife Systems
What: Advanced Monitoring & Control Use Cases
When: July 11, 2023 at 6:00 PM
Where: WJLA-TV Studios - Register Here
Address: 1100 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22209 United States
Today’s broadcast operational landscape is continuously adding digital channel playout along with increased hourly news production programming; all with fewer engineering & technical resources.
This discussion explores how advanced monitoring & management systems can be deployed for increasing operational efficiencies and improved response to broadcast fault events.
SuiteLife Systems, a division of NFB Consulting, is a leading solution provider for Management, Monitoring and Control solutions specializing in performance data aggregation of disparate systems and facilities across multiple sites to a single database and pane of glass for increased operational efficiencies.
with Steve Floyd of Ultra Electronics
From: Ultra Electronics
What: HAARP: A Brief History and Engineering Review
When: August 8, 2023 at 6:00 PM
Where: Goddard Space Flight Center (Visitor Center) - Register Here
Address: 8800 Greenbelt Road
Greenbelt, MD 20771 United States
Sponsors: ROX Electronics and Goddard Amatuer Radio Club
Chapter 37 SBE and the Goddard Amateur Radio Club bring you a lecture on the latest developments and research findings from The High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program, also known as “HAARP.”
Steve Floyd of Ultra Electronics will present a fascinating look at the program, recognized as a highly successful research project overcoming many unique and unusual radio engineering design challenges. This presentation will provide an inside view describing how the HAARP systems were designed, constructed, installed, and operated.
SBE Chapter 37 Recent Events
With Mark Schubin
With Tom Silliman, Rob Bertrand, and Andy Gunn
With Coe Ramsey, Noah Hock, and Patrick Cross
With Steve Holmes, Joseph Castellano, and Scott Cannon
With David Layer, Russ Mundschenk, and Mike Rhodes
- Candidate Slate Announced for 2023 SBE ElectionsA slate of candidates for the upcoming SBE election has been assembled. The SBE Nominations Committee, chaired by SBE Immediate Past President Wayne Pecena, CPBE, 8-VSB, ATSC2, AMD, DRB, CBNE, provided a list of candidates, Read more…
- SBE Promotes Stephen J. Brown to SBE FellowThe Society of Broadcast Engineers (SBE) has elevated Stephen J. Brown, CPBE, CBNT, of Appleton, WI, to the membership rank of Fellow. The SBE Board of Directors elected him at its meeting held April 16, Read more…
- SBE Launches Eighth Compensation SurveyThrough May 16, 2023, the Society of Broadcast Engineers will conduct a survey to determine salary levels and benefits among broadcast and media technology engineers. The SBE conducted its first survey in 2016. This eighth Read more…
- NAB Announces 2023 Engineering Achievement Award HonoreesMichael Cooney and H. Douglas Lung to receive awards at 2023 NAB Show The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) announced that two SBE members are the recipients of the 2023 NAB Engineering Achievement Awards. The Read more…
- SBE 2023 Membership Drive Runs March 1 to May 31With the theme, The SBE and YOU: The Perfect Fit, the SBE will launch the 2023 Membership Drive on March 1, 2023, running through May 31, 2023. As with Membership Drives in previous years, SBE Read more…
Get in Touch
Drop us an E-Mail!
Drop us an E-mail!