Welcome to SBE Chapter 37
We're Glad You're Here!
About SBE Chapter 37
SBE Chapter 37 is a local, Washington, DC-based professional organization of friendly radio, television, and multimedia technology professionals. Our group includes local, national, and international network technicians, consulting engineers, electronics manufacturers, and Federal employees working in media and broadcasting positions. If that describes you, you’re welcome to attend one of our meetings or join our group!
Most of our members live, work, or have roots in Washington, DC or the nearby Maryland or Virginia Suburbs. We meet most months to exchange ideas, increase our skill levels, and (sometimes) just to socialize. Chapter 37 is part of the Society of Broadcast Engineers (SBE), the only organization devoted to the advancement of all levels and types of broadcast engineering. With nearly 5,000 members and 114 local chapters worldwide, the SBE provides a forum for the exchange of ideas and the sharing of information to help media professionals keep pace with our rapidly changing industry. The SBE amplifies the voices of broadcast engineers by validating skills with professional certification, offering educational opportunities to maintain and expand those skills, and speaking out on technical regulatory issues that affect how you work.
Regardless of your area of broadcast interest, you are sure to find a warm welcome at the Washington DC Chapter of the Society of Broadcast Engineers. Please join us at our next meeting and try us out for size. We hope you will enjoy your visit.
SBE Chapter 37 Current Events
When: December 12, 2023 at 6:30 PM
Where: Busboys & Poets (Shirlington) - Register Here
Address: 4251 Campbell Ave
Arlington, VA 22206 United States
Sponsor: Many Sponsors. See Text!
The SMPTE Washington DC Section and SBE Chapter 37 invite you to join us for our annual holiday party for 2023. We'll have an open bar 6:30-8:00 PM and heavy hors d'oeuvres. All members, colleagues, family and guests are welcome!
Please register in advance so that we can provide an accurate headcount to the restaurant.
Mike Starling, President and General Manager for WHCP Radio, will give a presentation on how he led a revived nonprofit to win a frequency allocation from the FCC to become WHCP 91.7 FM, a full power non commercial station licensed to Trappe, MD and serving from Easton to Salisbury. He spent 25 years at National Public Radio serving as Chief Technology Officer, Vice President, and Executive Director of the Technology Research Center and NPR Labs.
SBE Chapter 37 Recent Events
With Steve Floyd of Ultra Electronics
- November 29 is Deadline to Submit 13 GHz BAS CertificationThe November 29, 2023, deadline is coming quickly for all broadcasters with auxiliary operations in the 12.7-13.25 GHz band, referred to as the 13 GHz band, to submit certifications of the accuracy and ongoing operations Read more…
- 2024 NAB Show BEIT Conference Call for PapersProposals for technical papers and panel sessions for the 2024 NAB Broadcast Engineering and Information Technology (BEIT) Conference are now being accepted. The conference takes place April 13-16, 2024, at the NAB Show in the Read more…
- Society of Broadcast Engineers to Release Updated Broadcast Station Self-Inspection GuidelinesThe Society of Broadcast Engineers is completing its work to publish new, updated Broadcast Station Self-Inspection Guidelines. The Federal Communications Commission published a series of checklists many years ago, but they have not been updated Read more…
- Society of Broadcast Engineers Authorizes New Canada ChapterThe Society of Broadcast Engineers has most of its members in the United States, but there are members based all over the world. The SBE has a chapter based in Hong Kong and in the Read more…
- Prepare for the Oct. 4, 2023, National EAS TestEarlier this year, the FCC and FEMA announced that there will be a nationwide tests of the EAS and Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) on October 4, 2023. If conditions on that date require the rescheduling Read more…
Get in Touch
Drop us an E-Mail!
Drop us an E-mail!